Data structures and algorithms interview questions for experienced is something that you have been looking for. You have an interview coming up and you know that Data Structures and Algorithms is a major topic in the programming field.
It is such an important topic that it is asked in almost every coding interview. Whether it is a Java interview, C++ interview or any other programming language interview, algorithm interview questions are a part of all the interviews.
The best of the organizations like Facebook, Google, Amazon or anywhere else, data structures and algorithm interview questions are a part of all the technical interviews.
If you are a preparing for a coding interview, you must be wondering that what type of algorithm interview questions you may encounter from this topic in your interview.
Well, not to worry.
In this article, I am going to share some simple and frequently asked data structures and algorithms interview questions for the experienced people out there. I will be taking you from simple to trickier questions. Also, I will add some credible sources from where you can prepare this topic for your programming interview.
I had also written about how to learn Data Structures and Algorithms online, and it may be of great help to you.
Important Data Structures
- Arrays, stacks, and queues (basic data structures)
- Linked lists (customized arrays)
- String (array data structure of words)
- Trees and graphs (complicated data structures)
- Sorting algorithms
- Searching algorithms
- Dynamic programming
- String matching and parsing
- Graphs algorithms
Data Structures and Algorithms Interview Questions for Experienced
First, I am going to share some important and frequently asked data structures and algorithms interview questions in a coding interview.
Fundamental Data Structures Interview Questions
The following are some data structures interview questions that are regular in the technical interviews of a lot of companies.
- What is a Data Structure and its types?
- What are linear and non-linear data structures?
- What are the various operations that can be performed on different Data Structures?
- What is a Linked List and What are its types?
- How is an array different from the linked list?
- What is Stack and where it can be used?
- What is a Queue, how it is different from a stack and how is it implemented?
- What are trees and graphs?
Fundamental Algorithms Interview Questions
Similarly, here are the most asked algorithms interview questions that are a part of most of the interviews.
- What is an algorithm?
- Why do we need to do algorithm analysis?
- What is the time complexity of Binary Search?
- Can Binary Search be used for linked lists?
- Briefly explain the approaches to develop algorithms.
- What are some examples of divide and conquer algorithms?
- What are some examples of dynamic programming algorithms?
- What is a recursive function?
These are some of the basic questions of data structures and algorithms interview questions for experienced that can be asked. No doubt, there are a ton of more questions on this topic but these are the most frequently asked and basic ones.
Also, these are the type of algorithm interview questions that are more likely to be asked at the start of the interview.
Interview Questions from Different Topics
Let me take you further into the kind of data structures and algorithm interview questions that can be asked of an experienced candidate like you. Here, I will be telling you about the questions topic-wise.
Arrays, Stacks, and Queues Interview Questions
Arrays, stacks and queues, these three data structures usually lie in the same category. They are basic but important data structures. Here is a list of some questions from this topic.
- What is a Stack, Array or Queue?
- What is a multidimensional array?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of arrays?
- How to implement a stack using queue and vice versa?
- Decimal to binary using stack.
- How to implement a queue using an array?
- How to implement a queue using a linked list?
- What is a priority queue?
Linked List Interview Questions
Linked list a customized array with end-to-end connections. This is one of the vital data structures. Here is a list of some questions from this topic.
- What is the difference between the linked list and array?
- How pointers are used in the linked list?
- What is Node in the linked list? And name the types of Linked Lists?
- What is traversal in linked lists?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a linked list?
- What is the pop operation in the linked list?
- What are the applications of Linked Lists?
- Mention the steps to insert data at the starting of a singly linked list.
- What are the applications of the linked list?
Strings Interview Questions
Strings are defined as an array of words or characters. The difference between an array and a string is that the string is terminated with a special character called NULL. Declaring a string is as simple as declaring a one-dimensional array.
Here is a list of some questions from this topic.
- How to find the maximum occurring character in given String?
- How do you reverse a given string in place?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of strings?
- How do you check if two strings are anagrams of each other?
- What is the method to find length on a string?
- How do you convert String to an integer?
- How do you reverse words in a given sentence without using any library method?
- What are the important applications of strings?
Trees and Graphs Interview Questions
A tree is usually defined as a collection of nodes. A Graph is a non-linear data structure consisting of a set of objects called vertices or nodes and Edges.
Here is a list of some questions from this topic.
- What are the types of trees?
- How depth-first traversal works?
- Which data structure suits the most in the tree construction?
- What are the differences between the B tree and the B+ tree?
- How can AVL Tree be useful in all the operations as compared to the Binary search tree?
- Mention the data structures that are used in graph implementation?
- Which data structures are used in BFS and DFS algorithms?
- What are the applications of Graph data structure?
Books on Data Structures and Algorithms Interview
You must have an understanding of the data structures and algorithms and have good knowledge of the above-mentioned topics. If you already have the understanding and are just looking for data structures and algorithms interview questions then these books will help you. These books are beneficial for the experienced.
Author: Vibrant Publishers
Description: In this book, you will get
- 200 Data Structures & Algorithms Interview Questions
- 77 HR Interview Questions
- Real-life scenario-based questions
- Strategies to respond to interview questions
- 2 Aptitude Tests within the book
Rather than searching comprehensive, textbook-sized reference guides, this book will take you to the information required immediately for job search to build an IT career. This book will put you in the driver’s seat and helps you steer your way to impress the interviewer.
Author: Gayle Laakmann McDowell
Description: This book is currently the no.1 bestseller in data structures and algorithms on Amazon. This impressive book includes
- 189 programming interview questions, ranging from the basics to the trickiest algorithm problems and their solutions.
- Extensive coverage of essential topics, such as big O time, data structures, and core algorithms.
- Five proven strategies to tackle algorithm questions, so that you can solve questions you haven’t seen.
- Techniques to prepare for and ace the soft side of the interview: behavioral questions.
After going through this book, there are high chances that you will ace your next coding interview.
Congrats! You are ready for your next interview
After reading this whole article and going through all the information that I have shared above, you can surely do wonders in your next coding interview.
We know that the shared questions are not enough that’s why I have attached many sources from where you can seek more information. Also, to find the solution to these questions you can simply google the questions or you can visit the following websites.
- GeeksforGeeks (free questions categorized in sets)
- AlgoExpert (for interview preparation) – Here is my review on AlgoExpert)
- Leetcode (technical questions for coding interview)
- HackerRank (hire itself or helps you to get hired)
You can also join some Facebook interview questions related to groups. From these groups with hundreds of your fellow developers you will get the idea about the questions that can be asked in an interview.